Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Strawberry Marina Ice Fishing

Saturday the boys and I loaded up and headed for Strawbery Reservoir. The weather in the valley wasn't ideal with a misty rain coming down and then as we went up Provo canyon it turned to snow, by the time we reached Deer Creek it had stopped and there a bubble over the Heber Valley and no weather was happening. We stopped got breakfast took 40 up over Daniels, the canyon had snow covered roads but no snow was falling. We got to the marina a little late due to issues but we still found a parking spot. Unloaded the tent and snowmobile and readied everything for the run to our spot. I took Parker out first with the tent and left him to set up camp and went back to get Jimmy. Jimmy hopped on and we were back at camp in a few seconds. The 800 Ski-Doo flat out flies! Dad would have loved riding on this thing.



Parker had camp set up, holes cut and he was down in the water. He got Jimmy set up with one of his poles and I cleaned out the holes since we filled them back up getting into the tent. Jimmy dropped down. Parker then got my pole out for me and I dropped down to mid-column, they were fishing the bottom. Parker had on a tandem set up and so did Jimmy with a pink rat-finky, they were using wax worms. I had on a pink tungsten jig and mealworm.


We got settled in and started seeing fish on the flashers and got into it. Jimmy and Parker both had bumps and Parker had a couple solid hits. About 20 minutes into the morning fish I had my first hit. I saw it come into the column and picked up my rod and began to flutter jig it to give it some action. The fish hit and the battle was on. I knew it was a decent sized fish by the way it was stripping line. Parker knew it too and pulled his line and Jimmy's line in so we didn't tangle. I got the fish to the hole and we could see how nice it was. Parker got on his knees and readied himself to pull it out of the hole when I got its head into the hole. I finally managed to get it into the hole and Parker reached and pulled it out. We all gave out big hoots and hollers, definitely the fish of the season. We took a couple quick pics and got her back in the water as fast as possible. What a thrill to pull that beast through the hole. We celebrated for a few minutes and then got back to fishing.
Jimmy and Parker both had fish swimming around them all morning. Parker missed a number of hits and I missed a couple more myself. Jimmy landed the only other fish of the morning a nice rainbow. We took a pic or two and got it back in the water quickly.

The morning started out not so good, I was ornery and out of sorts before the fish came through the hole, but with that thing breached the ice I forgot about the garbage I was thinking about and enjoyed the company of my boys. Parker needed to get home to be with his family since this will be the last Saturday for him for a while, he started a new job that works on weekends. Hopefully this summer he will be able to join us during the weekday trips. We loaded up and I took Jimmy up first and returned to get Parker, he again took down camp and got everything ready to go back to the truck.
On the way home, we ran across a broke down micro-bus and helped them out and ran a couple of them back to the valley so they could return and pick up their friends while the bus got towed to Heber. We felt it was one pay-it-forward that we owed for the many times we have been helped out in situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment