Saturday, March 14, 2020

Ice Off Fishing in the West Desert

Thursday morning I decided to head west for a solo trip and think about what and where I needed to be and go for a while. Solo also means I think about those that are not with me any longer. Days like these are needed to refocus and think about the things that are important. Friends and family that have passed sometimes haunt me and I need to getaway. I miss my friends that have passed on and the memories we shared.

I went into the west desert to a small impound reservoir that holds some very nice brown trout plus stocked rainbow and tiger trout. I was searching for brown trout. I got a very late start but I was still confident I could catch some fish. Arriving at the lake at noon after an hour trip through the Pony Express Trail and other dirt roads on the way. The PET is a fun trail and it runs from just west of Utah Lake and goes through the West Desert all the way to the Utah/Nevada border and beyond. Today I ran the short part between Fairfield and Faust before heading southwest to the lake.


I walked out onto the dam and fished the deeper section of the lake. I started with jerk baits and quickly changed colors and sizes trying to get a hit. I put on a crankbait, but it dove too deep and I hung it on a rock. It popped off and floated to the surface only to be retrieved later as the wind blew it to shore. I tried spinners and finally went to my go-to Kastmaster lures.

After hooking on a Kastmaster I finally got a rainbow trout to hit and brought it to the bank. It had hooked itself up good but after getting it untangled it was released and swam away. I tried more colors and sizes looking for another strike. I put on an old favorite color of silver/green and on the second cast hooked up my second rainbow trout. a quick pic and release I fished for a few more minutes but had to get on the road to make it back to the valley for a meeting.


This day was needed to clear my thoughts and get recentered for things coming up. Take care and stay focused on the things that matter most.

2 comments: