Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Deer Creek - From the Back Deck

Thursday's with Shifty is getting back in the swing of things. From here forward the tag "From the Back Deck" will be used in my post I'm on the Shifty Cruiser or another of my friend's boat. I hope you have enjoyed my post and following along with our adventures. Salmans' Outdoors and Fish Steeler team are thankful for the followers we have.


Thursday I met up with Shifty and we made our way to Deer Creek Reservoir. We were on the water at sunrise at about 6:00am. The water was glass and the sky overcast! This is rare for us on a Thursday outing, usually, there's some sort of weather happening but today it stayed calm, but stayed a little overcast which was perfect. We were on the Shifty Cruiser for the first run of the season.  We started by trolling a lane that Shifty likes down by the dam. We dropped lines and not long after that I had the first fish hooked up and boated. It was a big fat Rainbow trout, a nice 18.5 inches, 2.5 lb. I love catching bows and have them give a dance and show. We landed it got a couple pics and were excited about the prospects of the day starting with this fatty. We fished across the buoys and I hooked up another and lost it. Shifty hooked into his first and landed it and right after he landed his fish and we were getting a pic, my pole got hit and then my second pole got hit and we had a double-up going on only to lose them both. We made the turnaround and back on the corner I hook up another and land it. All nice big fat Rainbow trout. We fished this lane for a while longer and Shifty landed another but it really slowed down and we ventured to our next spot.



Stopping at the top of Rainbow Bay we dropped our lines again and trolled the cliffs. I got a couple hits and Shifty got a couple taps. Not until we got into the Island did Shifty hook up and land the next fish. We fished through here for a while and then went across the lane to the white rocks. On the way across I got hit. Not the normal hit and no jumping. For a moment I thought we finally found a Brown trout, but it wasn't the same fight. It raced me to the boat and a couple times turns and tried to throw my lure. I finally got it boat side and realized I had a decent Walleye online. Shifty raced back and helped me land it and we had our first Walleye boated for the season! Yep, I was happy!


We fished on, Shifty got another to the boat and then it slowed way down again. We have 6 rainbow trout and one walleye in the well at this time. We "anchored up" and drifted in Charleston Bay at the mouth of the river and we floated we got a couple hits and then Shifty threw out a crankbait and he got the hit of the day. He fought it well and got it boat side and landed the biggest of the day. A nice fat Rainbow trout. he was excited about the catch! We got a couple pics and put it in the well. We fished for a bit longer for trout and decided the bite had shut down.


We moved over to the rocks and started throwing crank baits for smallmouth bass. We fished for quite a stretch and then Shifty hooked up with one ever so briefly. It came out of the water and gave us a tail dance and threw the hook. It always amazes how a fish can throw a treble hook with that kind of ease. We continued up the rocky shoreline but didn't get another hit, didn't even see another fish. It past lunchtime and we were hungry and the wind had actually started to pick up so we called a morning. The day was fabulous and we had 8 good fish in the well. Lunch was at Chick's in Heber if you haven't eaten at Chick's you haven't eaten. Best Country fried steak in the state by far!

No comments:

Post a Comment