Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fishing the OC

Went to Richfield last week to support our school FFA program in state comps and they had a break for 3 hours where they were hanging out. I used this time wisely and went to Otter Creek just south of Richfield. The day was outstanding a few puffy clouds lingering around and the temp was perfect.
I arrived at the lake around 11 am and put on a Daredevil after 10 cast and not even a sniff I changed out to a Kastmaster. A rule I fish by is ten cast, if fish aren't hitting in ten cast you have on the wrong color, shape or style of lure/fly. I fished the bank for about an hour and half, but I wanted some distance so I was casting 1/4oz lures. Varying colors of the Kastmaster and varying retrieval speeds and depth until I found the right combination. It only took a couple changes in color and retrieval to make the connection. As I walked the bank I was looking for variation in the structure, depth and bottom. I found a spot with a good deviation in all aspects from the rest of the bank and figured it would be good spot to toss a few cast. Second cast and I hooked up! It wasn't a huge fish but a fun fighting rainbow trout, it jumped a couple times and gave it a could battle to get off.
I fished there for about 15 minutes caught a couple more and it turned off. I continued up the bank again looking for the variations and found another good looking spot and cast out, fanning cast left to right and working toward the center of my range. Third cast and hooked up in this spot with another good rainbow trout, not big in length but they all had good shoulders to them and were plump from feeding. I fished for another 30-40 minutes and working back toward the first hole. I worked that hole again for the last 15 minutes of time I had before I had to return.
I ended up with six nice fat Rainbow trout in all. The wind kicked up just before I left and the fish turned off just that quick. It was a great break even for the short period of time I was there. It had been years since I fished Otter Creek, but it won't be long before I return to this fishery. On the way back to Richfield I went through Koosharem and seen this cool old church/school building, it looked like someone had purchased it and started to renovate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment