Friday, May 1, 2015

Jordanelle Small Mouth Bass.......

Morning started off early and clear. Bluebird day perhaps not ideal conditions for fishing for small mouth bass but we didn't really care we were going fishing. 5 am and on the road a quick stop for breakfast at the local stop in Heber and on the lake by 6:15 am. A quick run out to our first stop and lines in by 6:30 am. Yep we were ready to slay some small mouth bass, well catch and release with a few photo ops.

Kelly started of jerk bait as did I and we fished the first stretch for 40 minutes without even as much as a sniff, no followers, bumps nothing. Kelly jinxed us from the get go, bringing up the fact that the lunar charts showed it wasn't going to be great fishing today and what little bite was going to happen was to start at 9 am and run till noon. Since we had to be back for his business meeting by noon that didn't give us a large window of opportunity. We moved and cast for the hour or so and to different structure and throwing different colors shapes and action of lures. Parker had been up a couple weeks ago in the Rock Cliff area and caught 6 very nice Brown trout from the bank. We finally decided to go back into the cliffs and give it a try. We fished again for about an hour and got nothing. Me not being a big fan of bass, I got out some heavy metal and started throwing it to center of the lake while Kelly continued to fish for the small mouth bass. I changed up colors and presentation a few times as did Kelly from the back deck. I put on a rainbow pattern and 3rd cast got a hit, slowed down and another got the lure next to the boat and this little bow was determined to catch itself so I let it! It had been a couple weeks since a fish had been in the Fish Steeler so I didn't care and brought it in with a quick tug.



I fished the same color for a little while and another hit good solid thud, and then it went limp! I watched as this rainbow continued to dance like it had been struck by lightning, tail whips, barnacle removing breaches everything just going nuts and my line was limp!! I reeled it in to see that Berkley Vanish 10 lb. test had broken! I have lost more lures with this line than I care to think about. I could understand if it was old and the fish were monsters but the fish was a carryover rainbow and snapped the line like nothing. Guess that line will go into the dumpster since it has cost me more in lost lures than I really care to think about.



Okay off the rant now and back to our absolutely gorgeous day a little breeze and a warm 77 degrees. Kelly still working the bank and I retied but I lost the only rainbow pattern I had to a much surprised rainbow. I retied a couple different patterns and then finally found another color that was liked. A little Brown trout decided to come onboard for a short visit and couple photo ops. We quickly got the little guy back in the water and continued on. We changed banks and Kelly tied on a plastic worm and finally got a few hits but couldn't coax them to eat it. We finished the morning with a quick run back to the marina. We asked other boats and they reported about the same outcome as us. Other boats though that were trolling the channel were very productive. Kelly is a hard core Basser and I wanted to learn how to catch them better but the Lunar Chart jinxed us....LOL. In the infamous words of Arnold "We'll Be Back" for another day and challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment