Monday, January 7, 2019

Rockport 2019 Season Begins

Saturday Parker and I headed for Rockport Reservoir. We met up with the Hunts at the mouth of the canyon and made our way to the lake. We got to the lake along with the rest of the state of Utah. They are having a tagged fish competition on the lake and they were out in droves. The shoreline was packed with tents and camps.



We ventured out to the buoys and cut holes, Parker set the first line and flasher and seen fish immediately on the bottom. Water depth was 36 feet. I wanted to try some shallower water so I moved back in toward the bank and set my first holes in 17 feet of water and same thing fish on the bottom and a couple mid-column.


I set my poles and had both get active as soon as set the bale. I had both in hand and trying to set both poles was probably funny to watch. I hooked them both and got both to the surface. 2 dink rainbow planters but I was on the board. I showed the group and they didn't much care since they had already put 4 perch on the deck.  Cameron was wanting perch for the day to make tacos that evening.


I stayed shallow and had fish swimming around me all day but couldn't scare up another bite until later. Paker, Cameron, Cody, and Chad all stayed deep and decked over 20 perch which was going to make for some good tacos.

Needing to get home for parties we started to load up at noon and then the bite came back to my holes so Parker put a pole in and we fished for another few minutes. But only had the two bites mid-column, one almost took my pole in the hole but no payoff. We loaded up and headed for home. Fun morning on the ice. Visited with a couple camps to see how they were doing and about the same outcome for most.  No tags were caught that we heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment