Saturday, November 16, 2019

Fishing - Lures at Cleveland Reservoir 11-15-19

Friday Jim and I went to Cleveland Reservoir. Thursday was a stressful day in the office and I didn't get out with Shifty due to work and Jim and I needed to get away from it. So we headed south to Fairview Canyon. One of my favorite places in the state. We got off late due to the fact we had meetings in the morning with a consultant all the more reason we needed to get out of town. We hit the road around 9:30.




We got to Skyline drive around 11:00 and Jim was talking about the area and how he had never been to, Miller's Flat was one of them so I made a right hand turn down the dirt road. 3 miles later we arrived at a very low Miller's Flat res. DWR has raised the limit on the lake due to extremely low water levels so they can work on the dam. We arrived and to our surprise, the lake was capped except one small opening at the creek. We pulled down to the lake bank and tried to get to the opening, "tried". We made it within about 100 feet before we starting sinking in the lake quagmire up to our knees, well at least me, Jim watched and laughed as I sunk in and almost face planted. It had to be quite the sight and spectacle to observe. We laughed and washed our boots off in the small stream before making our way back to the truck.


We loaded up and headed for Cleveland. We went into the campground and walked to the shoreline across from the dam. I had not fished this area before but it looked fishy. Jim fished the area last Friday and caught a couple so I thought we would try it again. We fished this area for a good hour and not even a follow happened. We loaded up and went across the lake to the shallow flats. On the way to the shoreline, Jim mentioned the Beaver activity, I couldn't believe the amount of damage they had caused and the number of trees they had fallen. It was amazing, you could see their drag marks as the made their way down the bank into the water.


We fished the flats for the rest of the morning and early afternoon. I caught the first rainbow trout on a rainbow kastmaster. It didn't produce another bite so I was thinking another one-hit-wonder day. Jim had his poles in the water with power bait and he was the next to catch a rainbow trout, a little bigger than the first. While we released that one the "Yellow Pole" got a hit so I reeled it in with another rainbow. I noticed they were hitting the fluorescent green bait so I put on a fluorescent green daredevil spoon. A couple casts later I had on the biggest rainbow of the day only to lose it as it jumped and threw the hook. Very disappointing.


Jim landed the next couple of fish on his power bait. I switched up lures a few times before I put on the nickel/green kastmaster. This lure broke the one-hit-wonder jinx and caught the next three rainbow trout. We finished the day off with 12 total and had a great day and some fun stories to tell.
If you haven't watched the video please do and if you don't mind subscribing to my channel I would appreciate it. I am gong to post one or two videos a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment