Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Fishing Deer Creek with My Brother - Trifecta

My brother and I got back on the Fish Steeler together. It has been a couple years since we got together and fished. Our schedules wouldn't line up and so on, but we finally got it together. We decided to make a quick trip to Deer Creek. We launched just before sunrise and had lines down immediately. We fished for a couple hours trolling for trout. Kelly landed a decent Rainbow trout in that time but the bite just wasn't there. We figured the full moon might have been part of the equation and the area we were trolling. I haven't had good luck in the Snow's Marina leg, but I also knew that the topwater hit for bass might be good up that leg. So I figured we would catch what we catch. The entire leg is now wakeless, I figured we might as well fish while we were going back the inlet. After the slow start and only one fish, we decided to try our luck with the bass.


We turned our attention to the reeds and willows along the bank and started off with topwater baits. We fished different types of walkers, poppers, buzz baits, and got no reactions. Kelly moved to a spinnerbait and I put on a crankbait. We fished into the inlet hitting every nook and cranny and then back out again. Not a hit or follow. Kelly moved to jerk bait and got some followers and then a good hit with a smallmouth. I switched up quickly and not long after I got my first fish of the morning, a perch!


We fished Snow's for a couple hours moving along the banks keeping a jerk bait on I got a few smallmouth bass, but Kelly didn't get another hit. We decided to move to another part of the lake. We thought well let's move as quickly as possible so we trolled out of Snow's and fished for trout on the way out. Reaching the end of the bay we switched to casting gear for a minute and hit the banks. Not getting anything we dropped the motor and quickly to another bay.


We reached the bay I thought would be productive and we started off with jerk baits. Kelly landed the first and then I got one, both smallmouth bass. We worked the banks along a couple of the west bays and caught quite a few smallmouth bass. Then I hooked into a largemouth bass, not big by any means but still a largemouth bass. That gave me a trifecta. Not long after mine Kelly landed another largemouth bass giving him a trifecta as well and we were looking at a possible Deer Creek slam missing only a brown trout, walleye, and bluegill. Kelly switched up to a lizard for a few cast but got nothing and moved back the jerk bait and landed one immediately. I was running crankbaits and still catching smallmouth and the occasional largemouth. All the fish were nursery size except for a couple in the 12-inch range. We fished until early afternoon and the bite had slowed considerably. We loaded and headed for the ramp. It was a great day on the Fish Steeler with my brother. Look for more trips with him coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment