Friday, January 22, 2021

On The Ice at Scofield


Thursday Jim picked me up and we headed to Scofield. We arrived at the lake before sunrise and it was cold. We prepared and loaded all the gear into Jim's new setup. He set himself up with everything, a tent, sled, and an electric auger. Just need to get him a flasher now. We cut holes as the sun was rising over the eastern mountains.


We set up in 13 feet of water just off the Madison Bay boat ramp. I had on a pink ratfink and Jim was using red/white cutter bug type jig. I got the first Rainbow to the deck after about a half-hour. It was at the very top of the water column I saw it flash through and raised my lure up to the depth and hit. Not very hard, it actually felt like it was holding it. I raised my pole and felt it get heavy and set the hook.


Another half-hour or so passed and I pulled a small cutthroat through the hole. We were seeing some come through and some on the bottom but they weren't on fire. Another half-hour or longer this time and caught a Tiger trout. That was fun!
I went in search of new water and cut holes only to find the same depth and no movement after a few minutes. While on my search Jim landed his first fish of the day a rainbow on a nightcrawler. He quickly released it and I made my way back to the original holes. Jim went on a search after a few minutes this time towards the shore and found shallower water but still no movement after a few minutes.


Jim returned and started jigging with the action he coaxed in a cutthroat. The big fish of the morning. We got a pic or two and returned it to the water. We fished another hour or so and got nothing and called it for the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment