Friday, July 16, 2010

Green River with Bruce

Went to the Green River in June with Bruce and his boy Greg.  We headed out Sunday afternoon and got to the camp ground around 9pm spent the evening in the tent, it was a great evening after some roasted marshmellows we hit the sack.  Woke up around 5:30 to a very brisk morning at 9,300 ft had a small continental breakfast and went to Little Hole.  We were the first on the river :)  It was a great morning beautiful blue skies and no wind.  Bruce and Greg set out with their fly rods and I started with my spin set-up.  Bruce is an excellent flier he set up with an attractor pattern and trailer bead head pheasant tail, he got into them in the 3rd cast and caught probably 5-6 fish in the first hole.  He then moved out and put Greg in the hole and had Greg getting hits with the same set-up on his pole, he has a great cast but like me, didn't read the hit as well as his dad.  We continued up stream from Little Hole and Bruce continued to catch fish with his set-up and Greg cont. to get hits.  They moved on up river for about a mile and a half and meander my way up to them.  I got into a section of ripples with a kastmaster on and got a couple hits then caught one about 16 inches.  Bruce and Greg were headed back down stream to go get lunch and set up for the afternoon hatches, I followed and casted on the way down stream got a couple more hits but no more fish.  We had lunch and shared morning stories and set up our poles for the afternoon and decided to go "over the top".  I set up my fly pole with a cicada following Bruce's advice with a bead head trailer.  We fished our way down stream and got to the narrow and went over the top.   They moved quite a bit faster than me and were in the water by the time I got back to the river.  They were in a beautiful stretch of the river and Bruce immediately hook up a nice one that broke him off, running 6x leader that happens.  We moved on down stream and continued to fish.  Greg hooked up with a nice brown on the way to the next trail head......we fished the rest of the afternoon.  My legs played out on me so I took pics and rested they fished and got a few more.  We went approx. 2 miles down stream form the trail head to a point that Bruce said there was a road that would take us back to the parking lot, famous last words.  We headed back toward the truck, and yes it did eventually get us to the parking lot and the truck but it was little out of the way.....My feet were killing me wading boots are not meant to trail hike 4-5 miles, I seriously thought about taking them off and walking in my socks, I didn't but thought about it.  They cruised ahead and brought the truck to the closest spot they could even though it was a well traveled road the gate was locked of course.  Greg being the good son ran some water back to me and carried my pole and stuff the remainder of the trail.  We got back to the parking lot finished off all drinks in the cooler and got dressed for the ride home.  Great day on the River!!!  Besides my toes killing me my shoulders were toast too from all the casting.  I'm getting to be a wimp!  We headed back up the road and stopped at the Flaming Gorge Lodge for dinner and shared stories of the day and looked at the pictures that were taken.  Headed for home and shared stories of past trips Bruce and I had made in the years gone by.

No comments:

Post a Comment