Friday, July 26, 2013

Fish huntin' with Tony


Fished with Tony Barton Thursday morning at DC.  We were on the water by 6 am and draggin' pop gear.  Went to the north end of rainbow bay and started there.  We trolled to the island out across the lake and got 1 hit on rainbow pop.  We went back toward the dock and ran the elk mtn into rainbow bay and across back up to the island and across to white rock and got 1 more hit.  We stopped trolling and fished white rocks for bass and got nothing.  Seen boats parked up on Charlseton bay at the river inlet so we ventured up there actually looking for the submerged trees but they are out of the water by a .25 mile so we pulled into the middle of the group of boats and watched them for a bit to see what they were using since they were catching after figure what they were using Tony put on bait and sunk it and ran kastmasters.  Seeing that the only ones catching things were on the north side of the boats we maneuvered into another position and yet another as boats limited out.  I kept changing lures until I found the color of the day.  

My first fish was a good sized rainbow 2-3 lbs and quite fun on the rig I was using that Tony borrowed me since I only brought a trolling pole.  I landed a 2nd one in a couple more cast and Tony was getting interested in what I was doing.  Then I caught my 3rd in couple more cast.  I gave him another kastmaster and he rigged it up.  Still no fish for him I caught my 4th and he asked what I was doing I showed him he caught his first fish in a couple cast.  I caught a nice smallie and then another couple rainbows.  

We watched the boat that stayed with us for most of the day pull in fish all day long.  They called themselves the Grumpy old men, 3 old boys that you could tell had been fishing since their youth and maybe even together that long.  One would catch one and the other two would just sit there until the other had the fish at the boat and then help net it sometimes.  We watched them all day and exchanged pleasantries when we would catch one or they would.  After they caught one they clean and filet it and dump the remains back in the lake, LOL that might have been why they were catching so many.  One of them tagged into a fish and fought it for a 20-30 minutes it circled the boat twice and finally got it in it was a 29.5 brown!!  It was huge it filled their net and looked like a rugby ball.  Without their help though I don’t if we would have caught a fish, the one with a blue towel pointed out to us what they were sitting on and what to look for on the finder.  We fished until 3:30 that day shared so many stories and reminisced about high school and sports.  It was great day on the pond!!!  Hadn't had that much fun in a long time.  It was slow fishing but a fast day and hot day.  Yes we marked the spot.

That's the end of our story for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment