Friday, April 17, 2020

Fishing American Fork Canyon

This week I went into American Fork Canyon one to get away from work and to fish. I also remembered that I lost a rapala that got eaten by a tree earlier this year so I stopped to retrieve it. The Creek is running high right now but still crystal clear. I walked the trail down to the tree that ate my lure. When I arrived I also found two flies in the same tree so I saved them form the lure eating tree. A nice Chernobyl and nymph were retrieved. The rapala wasn't quite as easy to get out of the tree. I had to extend myself out over the creek quite aways before I could get the branch to bend down, but I got the lure.



After retrieving the lures from the tree I decided to fish the creek as I walked back tot he car. I hit multiple holes and ripple runs looking for any action. I finally found a nice hole below a bridge and made three casts and found a small brown trout that was active. After releasing it back to the water I went back to the car and went up the canyon to Tibble Fork Reservoir.


The canyon was busy with vehicles filled with people getting out of the house. When I arrived at the reservoir the parking lot was empty except for a couple cars. I decided to go the right fork a little bit to see how the creek looked. The road was surprisingly dry. There were a few fly fishers on the creek, but it was low so I didn't stop to fish.


Getting down to the bank there were a number of fish rising and I wish I had my flyrod with me. I kept the retrieved rap on and started throwing it. I changed lures multiple times before I got my first hit on a pin minnow jerk bait, didn't hook up but at least got a hit. I changed multiple times again then finally got a brown trout to hook up on a kastmaster. I landed it and released it and started over again. Changing lures again multiple times before getting another hit and hook up with a rainbow trout. I fished for another hour and kept changing lures but didn't get another hit. The day was needed to get away from the real world for a few minutes. Get out when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment