Thursday, July 17, 2014

Strawberry with Shifty

Today Misty Mtn Adventures teamed up with Shifty Outdoors and ran up to Strawberry Res.  Looking for fish, fish and some Kokes.  Shifty Outdoors purchased a new play toy and this was its maiden voyage.  A beautiful 16' Tracker boat with all the fixin's.  Shifty asked if I would go with him and work through the break in with him.  I must say we broke it in well , I got the first fish on board so I got to christen it.  :)  The boat is set up very well with a bow mount trolling motor and live well and plenty of storage space with a 40 hp motor pushing through the water.  We put the trolling motor in and started trolling just outside the marina.  I started with brass butterfly blade and red with black dot pop gear at 30' ft in depth, not to long out I was hit by a decent cutthroat.

  We continued on and another cutthroat hit the same rig.  I was actually looking for kokes and started trying all sorts of combinations to see if I could get one to hit.  We went from Strawberry Marina all the way back to Renegade bay out into the meadows and back into Strawberry Marina we were on the water by 6:30 am and we took out at 1:30 pm.  The Minkota trolling motor didn't miss a beat and kept the running smooth through the water.  Shifty landed a small cuttbow by the old dam.  He was trying all different combinations as well trying to get the hits going.  As we fished I put in a second pole and really got nothing until I put on a red/silver leaf blade pop gear and worm.  It had better success than anything else I was running on the second pole.  All in all I ended up with 8 fish in the boat and a couple the Long Distant Released on me.  Shifty had a number of hit on frog pattern flat fish but couldn't get them to the boat.  We were actually catching at the same rate as those around , as I mentioned earlier another post the summer doldrums are upon us and you need to keep moving to find them.  The boat performed great,impressive boat with lots of cool features.  Misty Mtn and Shifty Outdoors will be joining forces often between the Fish Steeler and their new ride.  We docked and loaded, the wind had come up and for a first load it was smooth.  We stopped at the Strawberry Wobbler Cafe for lunch.  Thanks for a great outing Shifty!!


No comments:

Post a Comment