Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Solo in the Desert


Vernon Reservoir is nestled into a small valley in the mountains in the west desert.  It is home to some great Brown trout, the DWR plants rainbow and tiger trouts in it. Today I was banking it and tossing metal. Kastmasters are always my go to lure when throwing from the bank.


I got off late but made up time across the Pony Express Trail (PET) between 5 mile and Faust. I arrived at the lake around noon. I walked the bank until I saw a good hole with depth. Walked most of the north shore by the end of the day. The wind was blowing and it was a little chilly to begin the walk, but warmed up as the day progressed.
I tied on a brown pattern to begin the day with and got a few hits but no hookups traded that out for a nickel/orange and hooked up after a couple casts. A small rainbow trout, planter for sure with its fins rubbed off from the hatchery. Casting the same lure a few more times and getting a tiger trout to take it. and having a few more strikes. Moving along the shore I changed out to a rainbow pattern and got another couple of rainbows to take the presentation. Nothing was as hot as I wanted it to be so I tied on an immature brown pattern and it was the ticket for about an hour getting a fish every other cast.
The final fish I got for the day was a funky-looking tiger trout with dwarfed fins. The day was good to reflect on what is going on and where to go from here. The fishing was fun and the sun was bright. Glad I got out and put some fish on the bank, released them all nothing of size but the tug was felt and needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment