Thursday, June 15, 2017

Rockport Trolling for Trout



Wednesday was a great day! I got to take out my cousins on the Fish Steeler and catch a lot of fish. We had a blast, many double-ups, and one triple up. We started off at 5 am Joe and I met Dennis and Eric at Chubby's and headed for the lake. We launched at 6:30 and could have launched a half-hour earlier, love long days!!








Today we were trolling hardware, no pop gear, running shallow only 15 feet and shallower with our baits. The lake is full, fuller than I have ever seen it in the 30 years I have been fishing it. The water is back up to the entrance road, to me, that meant the fish would gorging in the fertile flats at the inlet. We motored back into the flats and we were the only boat in the area. Dropped the trolling motor and started fishing we made one pass across the lake and I had two hits on my purple glass Sunfire and Joe had a hit and Dennis hooked up a nice rainbow trout to start us off. We turned back around into the lane and made another pass and got a couple hits and one more fish. By now I had three slamming hits but was slow on the draw and missed them. Made our turn back into the lane and the trolling motor dies!!! WTFreak! Stupid terminals had worked themselves loose and did not take a charge, I fixed that as soon as I got home. In the meantime, we cranked the big motor and trolled with it the rest of the morning. Going a little faster than usual and faster than I thought possible to catch anything. We turned into the lane and thirty feet into a big hit, and then a second, a double up! The first of many for the day. Joe landed a smallmouth bass on his purple fire tiger in the flats.











We fished the flats for a couple hours, had we caught every fish we had on line we would have limited out by 8:30. But slow reactions and missed net calls we had boated 10 of our limit of 16. It started to slow and we wanted to try other lanes. We went to the tried and true lanes and sure enough, we hooked up on fish we limited out by 10:30 and started releasing the small ones so we could keep fishing. We had fifteen in the live well waiting for that monster. I took us into brown trout country and sure enough, Joe lands a nice brown trout on the purple fire tiger. After a quick picture, it was returned to the lake. We ended the day with only 15 fish, smoker rainbow trout.



We had a great day! Lots of fun with my cousins and lots of good stories and memories were made that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment