Saturday, August 19, 2017

Starvation Fishing 8/17/17


Thursday morning I picked up Shifty and we headed for Starvation. We made it on the water by 7 am and fishing in trout lanes quickly after that. I was trolling pop gear and Shifty was trolling a Gulls Custom dodger and squid. I got a fish on in a few minutes of setting my line. Don't know what it was, it released right at the boat. We made our way through the Rabbit Gulch lanes and back into the same spot as the last fish and I got another fish on. This time I took a little more time to get it in and made sure Shifty could net it. A nice rainbow trout to start off the limit.


We fished for another two hours changing out gear and colors, speed and got nothing. The lake was at 68 degrees and the grass was everywhere in the column. We had to clean our gear off repeatedly to keep the action on our lures. Finally, Shifty got a hit and reeled in a walleye, not huge but it was a fish and our second species. We trolled out of Rabbit Gulch up along the cliffs and still nothing. Decided by now to try for some smallmouth bass and started casting, I was using crankbait and Shifty was on his lizard with a Texas rig. We fished for a while and got nothing! So then we thought okay let's try bottom bouncing for walleye. That last about 10 minutes until Shifty hooked up on a rock and when I spun back around to get his bouncer unstuck his line went into the prop of the Kota. I took a few minutes to clean the line out of the prop and Shifty was ready to move on. So we headed to the bridge trolling along the way.


This is when I decided it was hot enough to take off my hoodie. I forgot my lanyard was around my hoodie and when I removed it, it quietly slipped off and over the side into the abyss. Yes, that lanyard held my remote for my trolling motor on it. Dumb mistake and costly. I have ordered a new one. I watched the video and watched it happen, not fun. We continued to fish and troll I used the foot pedestal so not a big deal in that regards just irritating. We fished the bridge and back up the cliffs and got nothing!
We were done with the trout and walleye hunt, we targeted smallmouth bass for the rest of the day. We started off in a little finger we had not tried before and it turned out to be productive. I was using cranks and Shifty tried swimbait. I hooked a small guy quickly and Shifty was soon after. We finished the day with over 20 boated and had a great time catching the little guys. We never got anything huge but lots of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment