Monday, August 7, 2017

Strawberry with Shifty Trolling for Kokanee


So on the 27th of July shifty and I went in search of Kokanee Salmon on Strawberry reservoir. We got to the lake early and started in some lanes that I learned earlier that held some Kokanee. I don't have downriggers set up on the Fish Steeler and don't know that I will. Today I tried a new piece of trolling equipment, a jet diver that holds your rig at 30 feet, using this so I can use the light gear rather than my lead line. Shifty ran his lead line. We fished until noon, so we put in 5 hours of fishing. I landed the first fish of the day, a nice cutthroat but not what we were targeting. I changed colors of my dodgers and squid using attractant gels the whole nine yards trying to get a Kokanee to bite.


Shifty changed out from the dodger to a Rapala and hooked up a chub of all things. He later landed a nice cutthroat as well. We both changed our presentation numerous times but couldn't find the Kokanee. We asked around and the other boats weren't catching many either. My conclusion is to get Kokanee on a regular basis you need to have downriggers and solid electronics to see the activity below. After not getting any Shifty wanted to go drift power bait back in the bay, so we went back into the bay and gave it a shot. I trolled worms and then threw some iron at them. To no avail, we didn't get a sniff. We called it a day and went home to pack for Alaska!!

No comments:

Post a Comment