Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Saturday on Ice at Scofield

Saturday we took to the road and drove to Scofield, one of my favorite places in the state. I grew up fishing this lake with friends that became my family. We would start the season off with opening weekend camping out on the banks of Fish Creek that flows into Scofield. The Marrott family would take me and my brother with them for opening weekend and we would have a blast catching huge fish.



Today we met up with family friends Cameron and Cody Hunt. We had the Fish Steeler trailer in tow and unloaded the snowmobile for its maiden voyage. We hooked up the tent and headed for the lake. We read that there was 6-10 inches of solid ice on the lake. Not so much in the case where we came on. Slush pockets all over the place and when we did cut a hole it was 4 inches at most.  Needless to say we unloaded what we needed from the tent and took the snowmobile back to the truck. Must say though it performed great and when we hit the slush pockets it had plenty of power to pull thru them.


On the way back to our camp I stopped and talked with a couple guys fishing and they were catching small cuts and bows on green jigs. By the time I arrived Cody and Cam had already landed 4 very nice Rainbow trout. I cut a hole for me and started off with a green jig. Cody, Cam and Parker kept catching fish quickly.  Most were Rainbow trout in the 16-18 inch range.


I got on the board with a Cutthroat trout and released it back to grow. However my next one was a nice football Rainbow topping all others caught at that point. We ended up catching a 4 person limit and nothing under 16 inches was kept. My bruiser Bow weighed in at around 2 lbs. I didn't catch too many fish on the day, but I caught the biggest of the day. A nice 20+ inch Cutthroat weighing in around 3 lbs, big shoulders and good girth. I was happy and content to only catch a few with the two I caught.


We ended the morning with over 40 fish decked and the majority were decent sized, a few snake body Cutthroats. Cam and Cody took the stringer home to smoke and serve them for dinner. A good morning on the ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment