Monday, December 31, 2018

Strawberry Mud Creek Ice Fishing 12-29-18

Last fish of the year. Met up with Jim and Josh at Harmon's and went to Strawberry.  We got on the ice by 8:15 and had camp set 8:30. We were in Mud Creek and the ice varied from 6 - 10 inches depending on where you set up at.  We drilled holes on the north bank of the draw in about 40 feet of water.


 
 



















Jim had a bite in a matter of seconds after putting his line down. So we thought we were going to be okay. He kept getting hits and then he hooked up a small cutthroat trout. Josh set his line and I put mine down. The fish were all over the column. On the flasher, they were swimming around Josh's jigs at the bottom, but would not take his offerings. We continued to fish here for the rest of the morning.


I got bored and went toward the bank and found some 13 feet water. I put my line down and within a few minutes, I caught a rainbow trout. I put my line back down and fished for a good 30 minutes and didn't get another hit. It was quite cold outside the tent so I went back to the comfort of the Eskimo.  When I returned Josh had just reeled in a nice cutthroat trout on my pole that was suspended about 15 feet below the hole.


We fished until early afternoon not getting another hit, changing colors, lures, techniques basically throwing the kitchen sink at them and got nothing.  I went around talking to different camps near us and one across the bay with Greg Park to see if any of them had been getting anything. Everyone said the same thing a couple early and then nothing. We talked to several people and seems that we had the best luck of the day catching 3 fish. Good day still being on the ice and outside.


Josh had one job! Don't step in the ice hole. He couldn't stand it and while putting the tent away he found an ice hole to step into. Good thing we were headed home he went up to his knee with that step.

No comments:

Post a Comment