Saturday, September 12, 2020

Monster Bass at Deer Creek


Last week Parker and I picked up Shifty and headed to Deer Creek. Morning fishing for Rainbow trout, later going for bass. We launched in the twilight of the morning. We headed to the dam lanes and started trolling, we were on the Fish Steeler this trip. Parker set his downrigger with dodgers and squid, Shifty set his purple tiger at 12 feet and I set my husky jerk at 6 feet.
                       

Making the first turn at the buoys Parker hooked up the first rainbow. It was a nice sized fat bow. Not long after that, he hooked up the second both at 25 feet. Shifty and I both thought well we need to deeper. Shifty caught the next one however at the shallower depth. I put on a deeper diving purple descent and put my leadline out with a favorite spoon. Shifty got the next fish with his purple tiger. I put on a perch pattern and got the next fish with a big hit. This was all before the sun broke the horizon.


As the sun broke the horizon the fishing died off a little. We figured because of the full moon. We didn't care we were having fun. The hits didn't stop until about 9:30 and then we pulled up the trolling motor and went to the island. We trolled the cliffs into the bay and made our turn. Shifty was skeptical until both Parker and I hooked up with our final rainbows of the morning. All were nice fat trout. We finished with around 15 caught and 11 in the live well. They all had nice thick filets on them. We continued in the lane and turned around back toward the island and Shifty git a hit, a perch on the troll, and a decent-sized one.


We pulled up the trolling gear and motor and crossed the lake to the rocks. Parker wanted to catch bass on a drop shot and knew Shifty is a master at the drop shot, so he wanted to learn from him. Shifty obliged and started with a drop shot himself. The previous trip he lost his baby bass lure and hasn't found a replacement yet. He and Parker tried the drop shot for a while. Parker was getting hits but didn't land one on the drop shot. We fished water depths up to 20 feet.


On the other end of the boat, I was throwing an old reliable baby bass lure that I protect heavily and only use on certain occasions. It was on fire! It caught fish the rest of the morning and I was very careful what I threw it into. I only have the one left and have not been able to find a replacement of it's kind anywhere. I have even paid someone to try and reproduce it....no luck! Anyways it was catching bass like crazy and nice sized ones both smallmouth and largemouth bass. Shifty got a few bass as well and Parker finally got a smallmouth on a crankbait.


The story of the day was my PB largemouth bass. I got it on video! However, I did not get a pic. This big boy swallowed my baby bass deep. I got the hooks out and was going to clean it off with a quick dip in the lake. It felt the water and gave a head shake and was gone! Lessoned learned, wash the fish off in the net!! Total rookie mistake! But I got it on video and it was definitely my PB for largemouth in Utah waters. We fished for another little while and then called it a day and a great day it was.





No comments:

Post a Comment