Monday, May 14, 2018

Walleye Fishing with Priority One Fishing @ Deer Creek


Thursday I had the pleasure of hosting Bryan Losee and Ian Munson of Priority One Fishing on the Fish Steeler.  We met up at 5 am and made our way to ramp and was on the water before sunrise and in position as the sun broke the horizon. The day was meant for walleye. Bryan and Ian are two of the most knowledgeable fisherman I know and I was happy to have them on board to learn from them and pick up techniques for walleye.  It turned into a day of great fun and a lot of fish.....just not walleye.



We set our lines and bottom bouncers and started trolling for the toothy and for me elusive walleyes.  We fished for about 30 minutes and I had a hit that almost took my pole out of the holder.  I reeled in and nothing but dead weight was on the line, but as the fish seen the boat it gave a few head shakes to let me know it wasn't a log.  Bryan netted my first walleye, he set me up with one of his worm rigs and it worked. I have fished for walleye many times and failed many times, but this was the first walleye I caught while fishing for them.



We continued to fish the rest of the morning, but we didn't pick up another walleye. Sounding like a broken record with my fishing this season one hit wonders abound. However I did manage to get a big bow on the end of the line only to lose it when lines got tangled, no biggie I wasn't looking for bows today.



We broke off the walleye hunt about 10 am since we weren't locating them and decided to go after smallmouth bass. This is where the fishing action turned on.  Ian started off with a drop shot and Bryan went to a spinner bait, I tried my luck with a swim bait.  Bryan was the first to hook up with a smallmouth not big but it started the catching, that lasted the rest of the morning and into the early afternoon.  Ian got a couple on his drop shot rig and then landed a nice fat smallmouth, largest so far.  Then Bryan came in with a nice one and then Ian again bettered his last big catch. I was trying everything I had, but no luck yet.



We inched our way up the shoreline looking for spots that looked like good cover and then would throw a barrage of lures and plastics at it, usually coming out with a couple from each spot.  I started throwing my favorite, lipless cranks, and managed a couple fish and another rainbow trout. Bryan ended his day with a big fat branzeback and Ian finished off his day with one last cast and came up with a nice bronzey as well.



The weather turned on us and we decided to call it a day about 1:30 pm. We loaded up and filleted the walleye I had in the well and made our way home.  A great day on the lake. We didn't slay the walleye but we had fun and caught a lot of fish and some very nice sized smallmouth bass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment