Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Ice Fishing Settlement Canyon Reservoir

Fished this res for the first time on ice Monday.  The access to the reservoir is great just a mile up the canyon out of Tooele. Tooele only being hour from home made for an easy ride.  The access to the water wasn't bad and would have been easier had there been snow on the trail had to drag over the gravel most of the way. The ice was solid a good eight inches of good ice.  There had been a lot of action over the weekend from all the holes that were cut. This was right at the dam, a few yards either direction you had untouched ice. Being alone and first time on the water I played it safe and stayed inside the boundary of the old holes. I cut two quick holes and placed the flasher in one and seen fish immediately. Dropped down a jig and bait and got nothing. Stayed there for a bit and then moved toward the dam. I set up directly over the pipe that takes water out. Again seen fish immediately and was still in about 30 feet of water the fish were on the bottom.
Within seconds I started getting hits. They were very lite and without indicators you wouldn't have seen them. I finally got one by the lip, a small Tiger Trout. Released it and set the hook on another Tiger and then finally got a decent sized Tiger to the top but nothing worth keeping. After those three though it was chub city. The tiger trout were hitting wax worms and shrimp the chub were all about the wax worms. I did my civic duty and removed a few chub from the water but got tired of only catching the chub. I packed it in and went back to the truck where I met up with Jake and talked fishing with him for a bit. He told me a guy had landed a three pound tiger earlier in the season, that wasn't the case today but the action was fast and I did get a few fish and some bait for the cooler.  Sad day though I had to say goodbye to one of rods toady it finally gave it's last effort, it was old though.

No comments:

Post a Comment