Sunday, January 5, 2020

Catching Big Perch!

Thursday night Parker texted and said lets hit Echo Saturday.  He had fished the week before and came home with some chunks. I thought that would be a fun day on the ice so we planned it out. Cody Hunt one of Parker's friends joined us. We made it to the lake by 7:30 and had holes cut before 8:00.

It only took a few minutes to set camp and get lines down. Cody landed the first of many very large Perch. The biggest I had ever caught in Utah waters. The day was starting out great and it didn't disappoint like last week's morning.  He had his fish before I even got my pole in the water.
The perch kept coming some small, some average but a number of pigs also came through the ice holes. Our cameras were the ticket we could see the fish on the bottom and kept our bait in front of them. They were picking up our lures on the fall and right off the bottom. We would stir up a little mud once in a while and they would come back in the see what was going on. Small perch eyes were also the bait they wanted. I had on wax worms but until I put on the eye I wasn't catching as many as the poles with the eyes on. We ended up with over 30 and lined up some of them for a pic. The big perch were numerous.

I caught the next few and Parker was swinging and missing Cody's hole went slow. Parker then got into one and it was a nice big perch. Cody was next with another big perch. I was feeling a little jealous about now because I hadn't caught a "slob" as the boys were calling them. They were pigs.
Then I got into one and it surfaced like a sub coming from the depths. It was the biggest of the day at that point. I was elated that I finally got a "slob". I could barely get my hand around it. The day continued to produce big perch. We fished the morning away enjoying the battles we were having with the big perch. As we ended the day another camp came over to see what we were doing so we showed them and gave them a few eyes that we had.

We finished up around 1:00 pm the bite had slowed down significantly and Parker had to go to work. We packed our gear and hopped on Parker's Snowdog and headed for the truck. Parker returned and picked up Cody. We loaded the truck and headed for the Polar King in Coalville and had a good lunch and laughed about our day and the size of fish we caught.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment