Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Fishing Tibble Fork Open Water Brown Trout

Today I hit Tibble Fork reservoir, I was planning on fishing the stream but then I saw the open water at the North end of the reservoir. As I got ready to make the hike from the parking lot to the stream I noticed an ice tent on Tibble Fork, the ice looked skeptical but talking to some folks found out that it is about 12 inches thick. Walking out of the parking lot I looked over the lake and noticed the open water and saw fish rolling. That's when I decided to throw some hooks in the water.


I tossed my first cast into the water and immediately got a hit and hook up. I didn't have my camera on yet didn't think I would catch one that quick. Landed the little Brown Trout and the skunk was off. I had multiple followers and short strikes after that with the first lure I was using. I changed out to an F5 brown trout and got another brown trout after a couple cast and then again multiple flashes and short strikes. Changed out again this time to a purple descent had a few followers but no takers, so I changed out to a rainbow and got another brown trout landed. The same pattern catch one then multiple flashes, follows and short strikes.


I changed out again this time to F3 thinking the smaller profile would entice more hits, not so much. Didn't even have a follow with a couple color patterns used. I broke out the Kasmasters and started tossing long distance. A few casts into it I hooked up the biggest of the day. Of course, as I was reeling it in it surfaced and gave me a great tail dance and then flipped me off. My lure went left and the fish went right! After that, I had a few more follows and flashes but no other hits. I changed lure colors and sizes but didn't get anything else. It was dumping snow by then and my fingers and lips were frozen so I called it a morning and headed back the Ramblin' Rogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment