Sunday, January 26, 2020

Skiing Brighton Ski Resort!

This week I worked a little and played a little. Skied Brighton Resort for the first time in 20+ years. I had a company consultant in town and he has an Ikon pass that gets him on the mountain so we headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Sad to say I do not venture into BCC very often and it was a nice ride for me since Sean was driving. Arriving at the resort just after 9 and the parking lot was in its second row and it was snowing. We hit the ticket window which was a breeze since he had the Ikon and I purchased mine online and picked up my card quickly. We hit the Majestic lift first and topped out a short time later it was the slowest moving lift of the day, probably because it's their beginner lift. Anyhow, we unloaded and looked at the map and headed to the Snake Creek Chair.
Sean is a seasoned snowboarder and was ready to hit the big runs. Snake Creek is an advanced lift with multiple black and double black runs. We loaded after a quick run down some black and blues. This lift is a true high-speed quad and made short time of the distance covered. We arrived at the top and took off. I went down the black I saw and Sean followed me for a little while and we met up at the crossroads of runs. We wanted to stay on Snake Creek so we angled our way back toward it. I thought was behind me but he took some trees to find fresh uncut powder. I continued down the run and hugged the trees for softer snow. At this point, I was winded, to say the least. Stopped I looked for Sean for a few minutes waiting to see him come down the slope and catch my breath. When he didn't come down I went for the bottom and saw him riding up the chair. Which honestly was good with me, I was sucking air bad and the legs were already feeling it. New boots didn't help the situation.
I met up with Sean at the top of the lift and got the keys to the truck. I told him to take his time and enjoy the day I was headed to the bottom to relax for a minute or 10. I headed to the bottom taking another black and making it almost to the bottom before I walked out my binding! I hate when I walk out of them, I didn't need to be released. I Barney'd it and gathered myself up and put my ski back on and made my way to the lodge. When I arrived at the lodge my legs were toast! I looked like one of Warren Miller's comedy clips going into the ski racks I couldn't stop, luckily no ski's were harmed in that venture, but I'm sure folks were laughing hard!
I went in took my boots off and got me some choco milk and a muffin. Sat and pondered what the hell just happened and laughed at myself. After a few minutes, I donned my boots and went back on the runs. I made another 9 or so runs before I called it and my feet were killing me again. Someone find me some boots that don't kill my feet!!!
I called it about 1:30 and got in a dozen runs I felt good about it. Went to the lodge and got me a large Gingerale. Sat and pondered the day and smiled about it. Got in some face shots with the fresh powder and the legs didn't give the second time for a while. Sean met up with me around 2 and we called it a good day. Sean had a great day riding fresh pow and hitting tree runs all day. The last one he hit he went just outside boundaries and found himself inside the cabin zone but he found his way back the slopes after a small hike. We both smiled about our day and I will return to Brighton to ski the lifts I did not get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment