Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Ice Fishing Utah Lake - White Bass 01-13-20

Sunday evening Shifty texts me and asks if I want to fish Monday morning. To fish with Shifty I definitely said yes. Then he said I want to hit Utah Lake and go for White Bass. I hadn't had great success with UL and white bass in the winter but I said let's go!

I picked him up at 8:00 am stopped for a quick breakfast sandy and we were on our way to Provo Harbor. We drove right down onto the boat ramp and unloaded the sled and walked out about 20 yards and cut holes. It was an overcast morning and breezy. I had my hole in 12 feet of water and Shifty was in about 11.5 feet. We fished for about 20 minutes and got nothing. Shifty talked with a couple guys from the bank and they told him their friend had caught a bunch of Crappie by the dock and bank, so he moved that way.



I finally landed the first of the day about a half-hour into the fish. We were expecting fish after fish from the reports we had been reading. However, those reports were from across the lake in Saratoga. We fished about an hour before we packed up and headed to the west side of the lake.

We arrived at Pelican Bay and unloaded again. We went out in search of the perfect spot. We cut holes and waited and waited.....30 minutes into it I finally landed one.  40 minutes later Shifty lands one, oh but wait it's not a white bass it's a Perch. We moved and cut multiple holes all over the marina searching for the hot hole. I finally settled down on my second hole in 7 feet of water. The sun came out and I started catching white bass. It wasn't fast and furious but I was keeping busy. Shifty, on the other hand, kept moving and finally ended up at the mouth of the marina with a guy that had been slaying them in a short period of time.

Shifty landed 5 fish immediately and that sparked my interest. I caught a couple more but nowhere as fast as they were pulling them out. I moved out with them and started fishing Shifty's holes while he was unhooking I dropped in and catch a fish. He would set his hook and bring out another and I would drop back in to catch another. Yep, it continued like until Shifty couldn't handle me using his holes.....lol it was funny George the guy we invaded got up and cut me a hole about 3 feet away and said: "here you go this is your hole". I thanked him and moved over and started catching white bass every cast.  We finished the morning off with over 50 white bass on the deck. When the sun came out they turned on and didn't slow down! We caught 10-15 fish in the first 3 hours and 0ver 40 in the last 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment