Monday, July 1, 2019

Stellar Morning Troll at Rockport!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I took a few days off to tour the Olympic National Park and had a great time hiking in and around the park. Since my return, however, we have put a few days on the water.


This post, Jim and I went to Rockport and the stars aligned for us. It also taught me a good lesson.  We launched at sunrise and started toward the dam. I was looking for brown trout and they generally hang out around the dam. However, as we started to roll I noticed a ton of action just outside the buoys and along the campground bank so I pulled back on the throttle and dropped the trolling motor and went back to the top of the run.


We put our lines in Jim with the jack-of-diamonds and I put in a bolo rainbow blade with worm trailers. Immediately after setting the line, Jim gets the first hit.  A nice fat rainbow trout. He resets his line and again another big hit from a bigger rainbow trout. I was trying to get a hard bait in the water but between netting his fish and navigating it took a bit to get the other line in and then I got hit on the rainbow blades, another fat rainbow. We had 3 fish to the boat in fifteen minutes and this action did not let up until 9ish.  I got a few more hits on the rainbow blades but Jim had the hot pop gear with JoD.  The B-shad got a few fish as well.  We had 24 fish to the boat by the time the bite shut down.  Nothing small all good-sized rainbow trout.


The bite slowed so I pointed the boat to the dam and went across the face but we didn't get a hit. So I turned south along the roadside and sure enough, we get into the fish again. Rainbow trout still for the first few fish and again nothing small.  We trolled down to the first bay and made our turn to go back and bingo.  The B-shad gets a hit. This was a decent brown trout. We got a couple brown trout but the rainbow trout were the fish of the day.


We had multiple double-ups and a few triple ups on this trip. It was an epic day on the pond!!  I'm sure watching us as we had triple hookups was comical as we tried to get three poles reeled in with only two of us on the boat. We finished the day with over 40 fish to the boat. All released to fight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment